- Chocolate Sponge Cake
106 g whole egg, room temperature
80 g sugar
74 g white flour, sifted
6 g cocoa powder
- Beat the eggs and sugar for 10 minutes until the mixture has doubled.
- Add the sifted flour and cacao powder and fold it in gently with a spatula. (You don’t want to lose the air that you whisk in the egg mixture)
- Bake for about 15 minutes at 190-200°C.
- Let it cool completely. (If you prepare the sponge cake a day before cover it with plastic foil so it doesn’t dry out.)
- Cut the sponge cake into 3 cm squares.
- Meringues (French method)
100 g egg whites
100 g sugar
100 g powdered sugar
- Whisk egg whites until foamy.
- Add half of the sugar. (50 g)
- Beat until soft peaks and add the rest of the sugar.
- Beat until stiff peaks.
- Add powdered sugar and fold it in the stiff egg white mixture.
- Pour the meringue into a piping bag with a round tip.
- Pipe some heart shaped meringues on a baking tray lined with baking paper. I used some leftover meringues disks so I just used a heart shaped cookie cutter to cut them out.
- Bake at 100 degrees for an hour.
- Brush some melted cocoa butter on both sides of the meringues. This protects the meringue from dissolving.
- Vanilla ice cream
204 g milk
46 g egg yolks
55 g sugar
48 g heavy cream
- Bring milk and vanilla to a boil.
- Mix egg yolk, sugar and salt in a bowl.
- Pour the milk into the egg yolk mixture while stirring constantly.
- Pour everything back into the pan.
- Carefully heat up 82 degrees over a low heat while stirring constantly with a spatula.
- Add heavy cream.
- Cool the mixture over ice or cold water.
- Pour it in the ice cream maker and let the machine do the rest. Or place it the freezer and mix it every 30 minutes.
- Cocoa Butter Layer
90 g cocoa butter
90 g white couverture
x red food colouring powder
- Melt both ingredients separately in microwave or over a water bath.
- Add food colouring and mix well.
- Mirror Glaze
25 g water
50 g sugar
50 g corn syrup
32 g condensed milk
4 g gelatin
55 g ruby chocolate couverture or white couverture
- Soak gelatin in water for 10 minutes.
- Heat water, sugar and glucose to 103°C.
- Add condensed milk, vanilla and gelatin and mix everything.
- Pour over the white couverture and mix with an immersion blender.
- Strain through a sieve, tap over a counter to remove the remaining air bubbles and chill overnight.
- Pour your ice cream into a piping bag and fill your heart silicon molds half way through.
- Place chocolate sponge cake squares inside the molds.
- Add the meringue and freeze for at least for hours.
- Rewarm cacao butter coat to 45 degrees and fill in a measuring cup.
- Rewarm mirror glaze to 32 degrees and fill in a measuring cup.
- Dip the hearts in cacao butter coating, let it get hard and pour mirror glaze over them.
I placed the heart on some crumbles and added some gold leaf.